Casseroles are one of my favorite things to eat, especially because they make the very best leftovers! I’ve eaten this turkey, broccoli & mashed cauliflower casserole cold, right out of the pan, and it was still amazing! Remember that super easy mayo recipe I posted yesterday? You’ll need it for this recipe! It takes this casserole up another notch and gives it such an amazing flavor.
This layered casserole combines all of my favorite flavors, and it’s a great way to get in lots of veggies without even realizing it. I mean, who wouldn’t want to eat a layered casserole? Although I love using turkey in this dish, it could easily be swapped out for leftover chicken, if that’s what you have on hand!
So many of you have been asking for more casserole recipes, so here’s another one to add to the list! This casserole could also easily be made in advance, so you can just pop it in the oven whenever you’re ready to eat. It also makes an incredible meal to make for friends, which is just what I need right now, since so many of my friends are having babies. I love cooking for others and taking that stress off of them for a couple meals! After all, food is my love language. 😉
I hope you’re all having a great holiday season! Happy cooking!
Turkey, Broccoli & Mashed Cauliflower Layered Casserole
For the Casserole Base:
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups turkey breast, cooked and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise (homemade or Primal Kitchen is a good store-bought brand)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Let's start by making the cauliflower mash! Place a couple inches of water in a pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, place a steamer insert into the pan and add the cauliflower florets. Cover the pan and allow it to steam until the cauliflower is soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain the water out of the pan and add the cauliflower. Turn the stove back on to medium heat and allow any extra water to evaporate out of the pot. This is the key to a fluffy mash! Add the ghee/butter to the pot, and blend with an immersion blender until smooth**. Add salt to taste. Set aside while you make the casserole base. **Another option is to place the cauliflower in your food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth.
- Now let's make the base for the casserole! Melt the ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli to the pan and stir well. Turn off the heat.
- Add the turkey, mayonnaise, eggs, poultry seasoning, onion powder, dried sage, garlic powder, sea salt & black pepper to the pan. Stir the mixture really well.
- Pour the turkey mixture into a 9"x 9" dish, using a spatula to smooth the top. Scoop the cauliflower mash on top of the turkey mixture in the dish, using a spatula to smooth the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until the top of the casserole begins to lightly brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
**This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of my links, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I truly believe in, and that I use myself or find to be very valuable. Thanks for helping me to keep my blog up and running!