April has been such a crazy, but also really exciting month! I’m launching a new program with my friend and functional medicine practitioner, Andrea. I’ve been working extra long hours making sure that it’s perfect, and I can’t wait to officially start teaching the classes in May! It’s really an incredible program, and we are also planning to launch it online in the near future, so that we can help many more people across the globe.
My husband had his 3rd (and hopefully final!) knee surgery last Friday, to repair his meniscus and clean up a bunch of scar tissue. He injured his knee last September, while he was training for American Ninja Warrior, and it’s definitely been a long and slow healing process. He originally tore his meniscus, sprained his MCL, completely tore his ACL, and knocked some bone and cartilage off. “Go big or go home,” right?! I’m so thankful that my husband is healing, and I can’t wait to see the day when he’s able to get back to training for Ninja Warrior – it’s one of his biggest passions!
Now let’s get to this recipe!
These. Are. Amazing!! I absolutely love tacos, and I love avocados, so this is a match made in heaven! I topped these with my cilantro lime dressing, which reminds me a lot of sour cream, and it really takes this dish to the next level. These are super easy to make, and make a great snack or meal on the go!
You can mix these up and add all sorts of toppings – whatever you’d normally top tacos with! I added diced cherry tomatoes, crushed plantain chips and extra cilantro. So good! Use your imagination and have fun with these!
Taco Stuffed Avocados
For the Taco Stuffed Avocados:
- 2 avocados, cut in half and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 2/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp powdered)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cilantro, minced
- plantain chips
- chopped tomatoes
- Pico de gallo
- diced onion
- In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil or ghee in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Once the coconut oil has melted, add the onion and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the meat and cook until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning to the meat and mix well.
- While the taco meat is cooking, let's make the simple dressing! Place the oil, egg, mustard powder, 1 tsp of the lime juice, garlic and salt in a tall container (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup). Place an immersion blender at the bottom and turn on. Once the mixture starts to blend together and become thick, move the immersion blender towards the top, until it is well blended. This should take less than a minute! Stir in the remaining lime juice and cilantro. **FYI this recipe only works if you're using an immersion blender. If you're using a regular blender or vitamix, see just below this recipe for a link.
- Top the avocados with the taco meat, any extra toppings you'd like, and the cilantro lime dressing. Enjoy!
**If you’re using a regular blender or vitamix to make the dressing, use the basic mayo recipe that can be found HERE. Then just add the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and salt!