Who doesn’t love layered creamy potatoes? I know I do! Traditional potato gratins are typically covered in cheese and breadcrumbs, and while mine may not have these, you definitely won’t miss it! This dish is bursting with flavor and is the perfect side dish to serve up any night of the week. Enjoy!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced very thin with a mandoline or sharp knife (peeled or unpeeled, your choice)
- 1 – 13.5oz can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ghee (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. First let’s toast the pecans! Heat a skillet over medium heat, once hot add the pecans. Stir the pecans frequently; keeping a close eye on them, they can burn quickly! Place in a clean bowl once they’re nice and toasty.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the coconut milk, ghee, garlic cloves, thyme, and sage. Stir until combined.
4. In an 8” x 8” pyrex dish, place a small amount of the coconut milk mixture. Place a layer of sweet potatoes in the dish, followed by more of the coconut milk mixture. Continue until all of the sweet potatoes and coconut milk are layered in the dish.
5. Bake tightly covered for 40 minutes, and then uncovered for another 20-25 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned. Top with the toasted pecans and enjoy!
My Life of Spice says
Wow!! This looks amazing!!!
Thanks so much!!
when you posted a peak at this recipe i was so excited!!!!!!!!!! thanks for being such a great recipe creator 😉 you’re amazing! can’t wait to try <3
Thank you, Meg!! I hope you love it, it was really good!!
Gorgeous! Love this idea- yum!
I am going to get a madoline, but do you think it would still work with thicker slices?
Totally! I would just cook it a little longer covered until you can cut through the sweet potatoes with a knife 🙂
Colleen Stewart says
Ugh! I only bought one can of coconut milk this week for chicken veggie curry. I guess I’ll be going back to the store 😉 I must make this during the week! Thanks Kristen
Ahhh, I hope you love it Colleen!! Chicken veggie curry sounds amazing too 🙂
Leilani Attilio says
How many servings does this make?
Kristen Boehmer says
Hi Leilani, it makes about 2-4. Depending on the size of the potatoes and how hungry you are. 😉
Katherine Tanner says
This was a huge hit for Mother’s Day and soooo easy to make, but so flavorful! And I subbed Japanese sweet potatoes instead of regular and it was amazing!! Thanks!!
Team KB says
Yay! So happy to hear! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!