Did you know that Italian food happens to be one of my favorite things on this planet? No? Well now ya do! I also happen to love casseroles, so combine the two and I’m in heaven. This recipe is so full of flavor, and is super easy to whip up, plus it makes amazing leftovers.
Most people tend to think that I cook every night. Tis not the case, my friends! I basically live off of leftovers. I cook three days a week, maybe. Mostly it’s for my blog, so it’s almost always experiments happening in my kitchen. Thankfully I kinda know what I’m doing by now. 😉 Rule number one in my house – never, ever make a single batch of anything. That’s exactly why I doubled this recipe! Feel free to do the same, just use a 9×13” pan as shown in my photos.
Enjoy this recipe!
Spaghetti & Meatball Casserole
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the casserole:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1 small spaghetti squash (approximately 4 cups)
- 2 ounces pepperoni, chopped
- 18 ounces diced tomatoes
- 18 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoning (feel free to adjust to your taste buds)
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Place the squash face down on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the skin is soft and the threads of the squash come out easily with a fork. Reduce the heat of your oven to 350 degrees.
- While the spaghetti squash is baking, let’s prepare the meatballs! Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well, using your hands. Form the meat mixture into meatballs, large or small, your choice.
- Heat the olive oil/ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook until golden brown. Flip the meatballs and cook the other side until cooked through. Add the pepperoni to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper to the pan. Stir the mixture well. Add the spaghetti squash noodles and stir again to combine. Add the eggs to the pan, giving it one final stir to make sure the mixture is well combined.
- Pour the spaghetti mixture into a 9x9” dish. (FYI – I placed the meatballs on top of the casserole for the photos, but this step isn’t necessary). Bake for 45-60minutes, or until the casserole has set. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of my links, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I truly believe in, and that I use myself or find to be very valuable. Thanks for helping me to keep my blog up and running!