Let’s talk about prosciutto for a minute. AKA, fancy bacon. Does it really get any better?! You could pretty much wrap anything in prosciutto and it would be delicious.
This appetizer seems super fancy, but it’s really crazy easy to make! If you’ve never made your own pesto before, prepare to be wowed! Not only is the taste a hundred times better than any store bought pesto (it’s a scientific fact!), there’s also no labels to read and no strange ingredients to find! That’s always a win!
If you’re following the Autoimmune Protocol, just leave out the nuts from the pesto, and this recipe will be totally AIP friendly. AIP will have never tasted so good!
I found some awesome, organic prosciutto at Costco (I LOVE Costco!) but if you’re unable to find any that you love, or don’t have it on hand, feel free to sub in bacon. Let’s be real…bacon is also completely delicious.
Prosciutto Wrapped Pesto Chicken Bites
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2" pieces (or breasts)
- 1 8 ounce package of sliced prosciutto
- 20 leaves basil leaves (enough to have 1 for each piece of chicken, mine made 20 pieces)
- 3 cups packed basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take one piece of prosciutto and place a basil leaf in the middle, then a piece of the chicken on top. Wrap the prosciutto around the chicken. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Continue wrapping the remaining prosciutto/basil/chicken, until gone.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, let's make the quick pesto! Add all of the pesto ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until well combined. Top each piece of prosciutto/chicken with a spoonful of pesto and eat with a toothpick. Or a fork. Or your fingers - enjoy!