Years ago, Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken used to be an absolute favorite of mine to make for dinner for me and my husband, and I’d forgotten all about it until recently! Back then, I used a store bought barbecue sauce with who-knows-what added in the ingredients, so now I decided to make my own delicious, healthy sauce, so that I knew every ingredient that I used!
Making homemade barbecue sauce is SO easy, although you can always use a store bought version if you prefer – Tessemae’s is a great brand. Also, feel free to use any cut of chicken you’d like, instead of the drumsticks, just bake until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
You can also easily make these Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken drumsticks Whole30 compliant by using one of the barbecue sauces from my eBook, Get Sauced!
Enjoy this recipe for my Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken!
Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (approximately 10 drumsticks)
- Combine all of the ingredients for the barbecue sauce in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 30 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with the avocado/olive oil. Place the drumsticks on the baking sheet, spaced apart so that they aren't touching. Brush the tops of the drumsticks with the barbecue sauce and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the drumsticks over and brush the other side with the barbecue sauce. Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 160 degrees. Serve with the remaining barbecue sauce and ENJOY!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of my links, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I truly believe in, and that I use myself or find to be very valuable. Thanks for helping me to keep my blog up and running!
Leave a Reply