Do you struggle with how to make healthy habits stick? If so, then today’s post is for you! We’re diving into this topic with practical tips that you can use to create the lasting, positive changes that you’ve been craving.
It took me a long time to realize that I was once my own biggest obstacle. It wasn’t easy to admit back then … but it’s human nature to get in our own way! In order to get to where I am today with my health, I first had to be very honest with myself.
For so many years, I put the responsibility on someone else to magically make me healthy. I kept waiting for life to slow down, or for things to suddenly become easier … until I finally realized that true health is an inside job and I needed to take charge.
These are the tips that I used to change my own life and if this is something you struggle with, I have no doubt that they’ll help you too!
If you’re looking for exactly how to make healthy habits stick, here’s what I recommend doing first:
- Think back to a time in your life when you accomplished a goal that you really wanted to achieve.
- What made you actually accomplish this goal? What sets this goal apart from something that you thought you wanted, but didn’t accomplish? I would bet that you had a strong “why” for wanting to achieve this goal, and that’s how you succeeded. (More on this below!)
The Game-Changing Importance of Knowing Your “Why”
Understanding exactly why you want to make healthy changes in your life is EVERYTHING. It seems so simple, yet this alone can make or break creating a new habit.
Take some time to sit down in a quiet space (even five minutes is great!) and dive into these questions:
- What is it that you want most out of life?
- Why do you want to feel amazing?
- What do you want to have the energy for?
- What is it that would make you feel like you’re living a fulfilled life?
When we have a big enough reason for wanting something, there’s a strong chance we can make it happen.
How to Get Out of Your Own Way
Our brains LOVE excuses. They can come up with a thousand different reasons for why we should remain where we are, as their job is to keep us “safe” and “comfortable.”
Excuses can be tough to spot at first because they can feel so real.
Excuses might sound like…
- “I want to take time for myself, but there’s just SO much to do.”
- “I want to be healthy, but I don’t know where to start.”
- “I want to change my diet, but it feels overwhelming.”
- “I want to eat well, but it just feels too hard.”
- “I want to have healthy meals, but I just don’t have the time.”
The reality is, we all have a lot going on in our lives, but if you’re going to create a new, healthy habit, it must become a priority … no matter what!
You can have the life that you want, or you can have your excuses, but you cannot have both.
Back when I was working to rebuild my health, I came to the realization that if I wanted to live the life that I had been dreaming of, I first had to make my health my number one priority. This meant busting through my own excuses and showing up for myself in a way that I never had before. It’s not always easy at first, but it’s so worth it and SO much easier in the long run.
It’s my hope that you take this as your permission to start putting your own health first and that you make feeling good a top priority. You deserve it! We’re diving even deeper into this topic in our upcoming online gut course, launching very soon! Sign up HERE to be the first to get the inside scoop.