On my recent trip to Southern California, I was at this restaurant and noticed a coffee crème brûlée on the menu. I mean, coffee and creme brulee?! My friend and I were drooling over the idea of coffee creme brulee, and I immediately knew that I had to go home and recreate it to be both dairy and refined sugar free! That’s how this recipe was born, and my friends, it is SO DELICOUS! This is also a great dessert to make in advance, as you can keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
San Francisco Bay Coffee Company and I recently decided to partner up for a fun Earth Day campaign. I’m really proud to support this awesome company, and once you learn a little about them, I know you’ll love supporting them too! I’ve known about and have used San Francisco Bay Coffee for years, but really had no idea just what a great company they are, and how much they truly care about their environmental impact. I only knew that their coffee tastes amazing!
A couple weeks ago I posted an image on my Instagram as well as my website that stirred up a TON of feelings about Kcups and how much damage they’ve actually caused on our planet. If you haven’t read that article yet, you can check it out HERE.
Thankfully for us, San Francisco Bay Coffee truly cares about the environment, which is exactly why they created the OneCup, an environmentally friendly alternative to the Kcup! The OneCup is made from renewable plant-based materials, such as pulp, paper and wood, even the lid & ring are compostable, and they’re compatible with most single serve brewers!
Social and environmental responsibility on the farms is one of San Francisco Bay Coffee’s biggest priorities. Their coffee is fairly traded, and they only buy from farmers who ensure that the workers are treated fairly, which is important to me. San Francisco Bay Coffee also pays the farmer more than the cost of production, so they can enforce strict guidelines for the coffee quality, improve workers lives, and preserve our environment.
Now this is coffee that you can feel good about purchasing!
Enjoy this recipe for my coffee creme brulee!
Coffee Creme Brulee
- Place the coconut milk, coffee grounds from one OneCup coffee pod, ½ cup of the coconut sugar, vanilla extract and salt into a medium sized pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and then turn off the heat. Let the mixture sit and cool for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard the leftover coffee grounds.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place 3 (6 ounce) ceramic ramekins in a 13x9" pan.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Slowly whisk in the coconut mixture. Divide the mixture into the ramekins. Carefully pour enough hot water into the pan to cover halfway up the outside of the ramekins. Bake just until the creme brulee is set on the outside, but still soft & jiggly in the center, about 25-35 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan. I did this using a sturdy metal spatula underneath the ramekins, and gripping the sides with a pair of tongs. Let cool and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 2 days.
- Remove the creme brulee from the fridge 30 minutes prior to serving, so that it's not super cold. Sprinkle each ramekin with 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar and tilt/tap the ramekin to spread the sugar evenly. Using a kitchen torch , melt the sugar to create a crispy top. Coconut sugar takes a bit of extra time to crisp versus refined sugar, but it's so worth it! Allow the creme brulee to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- **If you don't have a kitchen torch, you can also melt the sugar using your oven's broiler. Simply place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place them on the highest rack in your oven. Watch them carefully to be sure they don't burn!
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
SPONSORED POST AND AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blog, I may receive monetary compensation for posts. This post also contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of my links, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you I will only ever recommend products that I truly believe in, and that I use myself or find to be very valuable. Thanks for helping me to keep my blog up and running!