Thinking back a couple of years ago when I decided to try the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP), and I remember the hardest part was figuring out what on earth to eat for breakfast! Since eggs were out for a bit, breakfast salads quickly became a favorite! Not only are they a great way to get in veggies early in the day, but they’re also so satisfying and packed with flavor.
This breakfast salad with maple balsamic vinaigrette is SO good! It’s easily made AIP friendly by leaving the tomatoes off, as well as the Dijon mustard out of the vinaigrette, but I promise you won’t miss either of them! The meatballs on this salad are super tasty, so I highly recommend making a double batch! Seriously, they disappear in about 2 seconds in this house! 😉
If you’ve been following along with my Ninja Warrior training on Instagram or my Facebook page, you probably know that my husband, Mike, unfortunately wasn’t chosen to be on American Ninja Warrior this year. Although it’s a huge bummer, he’s had a really great attitude about it anyway, which is so important. It’s easy to feel let down in life, but we do get a choice with how we handle our feelings & emotions regarding any situation.
I deeply believe that everything happens for a reason, even though sometimes this can be difficult to see. When I look back on my own life, I can see exactly why I struggled so much with my disease and why I ultimately had to have my entire large intestine removed. Mike and I have been through some incredibly tough lessons, but what’s important is that we learned from each situation and we became stronger because of them. It’s so true that we don’t always get what we want in life, but we get what we need. If you’d like you can check out Mike’s submission video here on Vimeo!
Even though my hubby wasn’t selected doesn’t mean we’re gonna miss out on all the fun! We’ve decided to head down to LA on Sunday, and we’re both going to be testers on the course, which means we get to test/try all of the obstcles! I’m SO EXCITED! Odds are I’ll be packing this breakfast salad for the road!
This breakfast salad can easily be made in advance (which is what I typically do), just assemble the ingredients when you’re ready to eat!
Breakfast Salad With Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Salad:
- 6 ounces spinach or greens of your choice (8-10 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (omit for AIP)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 avocado, pitted peeled and sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (omit for AIP)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium sized bowl, using your hands to mix well. Roll the meat mixture into 12, golf ball sized meatballs. Place the meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet, 2" apart. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking let's prepare the vinaigrette! Whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the spinach or greens into a large bowl. Top with the tomatoes, bacon, avocado, vinaigrette and the meatballs. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of my links, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I truly believe in, and that I use myself or find to be very valuable. Thanks for helping me to keep my blog up and running!
<3 <3 <3